Philippines Exposure Trip
- Do you want to reconnect with your roots?
- Do you want to experience the Philippines outside of resorts and Megamalls?
- Do you want to better understand the women’s movement in the Philippines?
- Do you want to learn about the current issues and struggles Filipinos in the Philippines face?
If you’ve wondered any of the above, you should consider an
Exposure Trip with Filipinas for Rights and Empowerment and GABRIELA USA!
What is an Exposure Trip?
An Exposure Trip allows participants to experience the concrete conditions of the Philippines by immersing them in local organizations and communities under the GABRIELA alliance. Exposure Trips build the organizing capacity and cultural understanding of U.S.-based participants who are focused on Filipino communities . This opportunity is open to women who are members of any GABRIELA-USA organization: babaeSF (San Francisco), Filipinas for Rights and Empowement (New York City), Pinay sa Seattle (Seattle), SAMAKA (San Francisco), and Sisters of GABRIELA, Awaken! (Los Angeles)
If you are not a member of a GABRIELA USA organization, and are interested in participating in an Exposure Trip in the Philippines, please email us at email@example.com
Why participate in the Exposure Trip?
As Filipinas living in the United States, it’s sometimes difficult to remember that many of the issues faced by Pinays here are the same struggles experienced by those back in the Philippines. Exposure Trips allow participants to integrate in communities with GABRIELA organizers, visit with women and their families to understand the issues and problems they face, and learn lessons about movement and community building with and from GABRIELA organizers. GABRIELA’s comprehensive network of local organizations gives participants access to various communities, institutions, and organizations that would otherwise be off-limits to regular visitors.
What happens on an Exposure Trip?
Hosted by GABRIELA Philippines, an annual summer Exposure Trip is planned for members of GABRIELA USA, its allies, and interested parties ranging between 2 weeks to 3 months to meet local communities and organizers in the Philippines. In the past, some Exposure Trips have included:
- Living with the indigenous women of the Cordillera region
- Rallies at the Triumph Garment factory strike in Manila
- Educational discussions/workshops with the urban poor of Tatalon, Quezon City
- Meeting the surviving Lolas of LILA Pilipina, surviving WWII comfort women
- Typhoon Ondoy Relief efforts with GABRIELA Women’s Party in Pampanga
- Art skill share workshop with Ugat Lahi (a cultural organization)
- Rallies at the annual State of the Nation Address (SONA)
- …and much more!
Prior to the trip, participants are prepared through a series of educational discussions, and a full orientation. GABRIELA Philippines prepares each GABRIELA-USA group’s itinerary upon flight confirmation. After the trip, a reportback is held in October to share the Exposure Trip experience with the local community, and create dialogue about pressing issues participants faced.
If you are interested in participating in an Exposure Trip in the Philippines, please email us by February to begin the application process for the following summer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Below is an example of what exposurists produce as part of the Exposure Trip: